Suspension springs

Discussions & announcements

Moderator: bobassel

Alec

Suspension springs

Post by Alec »

Hello, everyone.
This is Alec Bilney, a DUKW owner for 25 years, but a novice GPA owner.
I joined this forum several months ago, as an absolute beginner with a GPA to restore to life. I am quietly getting on with it, with a little help from my friends (actually a lot). But I have one stumbling block in front of me that generates conflicting advice. I am venturing into print because of it.
The supension springs that I have are very badly corroded and are quite unusable, so must be replaced completely. The parts list shows that the leaves in the suspension springs all have GPA numbers which has, up until now, meant that the part was special to the GPA. But some people assure me that I can use a set of springs as used on the GPW/MB and simply add the extra leaves that are necessary.
1. Can any owner of a GPA please confirm or refute that, please ?
2. Can anyone indicate where springs can be obtained, please ?
Best wishes to all.
Alec
leo verhagen
C-SICK

Post by leo verhagen »

Alec,

I don't think GPW springs will work.
The camber is different as well as the length.
Also the shackels to mount the springs to the frame that are used are different. They are more like the GP jeep, so called 'dog bones' instead of the U bolts that are used on GPW/MB jeeps.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Regards,

Leo Verhagen

http://communities.zeelandnet.nl/data/fordgpa/index.php

Ford GPA#8787 d.o.d. 27 Feb '43
Ford GPW#87243 d.o.d. 21 December '42
Willys MBT waiting for restoration
Alec

Suspension Springs

Post by Alec »

Thanks, Leo. Yours certainly look beautiful - are they for sale ha ha.
Your information confirms my thoughts, and I recognise your comments about the spring hangers. I am buying a set of bushes and hangers from Richard Sanders in South Australia. What I need now is somewhere to get the springs themselves from.
Alec
richardfs

Springs

Post by richardfs »

Hi Alec,
I have put a set of spring bushes a side for you.

Be careful when having your springs reset to not over set the front springs. Like the GPW you need to put more set in the drivers side springs front and rear. By doing this the vehicle will not lean to the drivers side. (If you need setting dimmensions I have these.)

On my original GPA I added an additional 3rd leaf to the rear springs to support the second leaf. This leaf was longer than the original 3rd leaf and ended directly under the the centre of the spring bushes.
This stopped the second leaf drooping over the end of the shorter original 3 rd leaf.

Worth considering.

If you have trouble finding a set of springs I am having some made that will be good copies of the originals.

Let me know if I can help.

Best regards
Richard
Alec

Suspension springs

Post by Alec »

Richard,
Thank you for the offer of remanufactured springs. At present it seems attractive, as long as the lead time is not too great. I estimate the time for sea-mailing them to me will be about three months, anyway (airmail will surely be prohibitively costly), so if you can indicate when they would be available to you, it would be helpful.
I assume you have received my letter of 17 Sept by now.
Best regards, Alec
richardfs

Springs

Post by richardfs »

Hi Alec,
Yes the letter has now arrived and I have sent you a PM.
Best regards
Richard
richardfs

Springs + letter

Post by richardfs »

Hi Alec,
I have tried sending you a private message but it is stuck in my out box.

I have received your letter.

Please Email me directly as I donot have your Email address.

Regards Richard