Vent Spring

Discussions & announcements

Moderator: bobassel

GPA2196

Vent Spring

Post by GPA2196 »

Gentlemen,

I was looking at David's pictures the other day and noticed a spring on the mechanism for opening the vents I linked to Davids picture...

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showphoto.php?photo=28863&ppuser=173

First is this correct? I always assumed this tab was used to secure some of the engine side panels I seem to even recall removing something that was bolted to it or is there another tab further back on the wheel well... it was a long time ago when I disassembled a complete GPA.... any way if this is correct is there a corresponding spring on the other side (drivers)?

Thanks,
Tony
GlennV

Post by GlennV »

Hallo Tony,

this is correct ! And is also used on the drivers side.

One side of the spring is hooked in the small tab and the other side of the spring should be hooked in the underside of the small bent tube (which pushes and pulls the door open). There you'll find a small hole.

You can measure the spring by closing the vent door, and measuring the distance between the 2 holes. Than you have to find a spring that is just a little bit shorter (to keep it on tenchion), with 2 open sides on both ends.

I also needed some time to comprehend this system.

Best regards,

Glenn
Ford GPA - SN 5892 - DOD Jan 14 1943
Willys MB - SN 456307 - DOD July 30 1945
GPA2196

Post by GPA2196 »

Thanks Glenn,

I noticed after looking at more of Davids pictures that there was one on the other side as well.... thanks for your help... you learn something everyday :)

Tony