Winch PTO Clutch

Discussions & announcements

Moderator: bobassel

GPA2196

Winch PTO Clutch

Post by GPA2196 »

Gentlemen,

What are your opinions on the color of the winch PTO Clutch when it left the factory mounted on the GPA? I've seen several people with them Grey like the engine and many with it green. Mine is currently grey, but easy to repaint.... I know Donovan said he had an NOS one in green, but was curious if anybody had any pictures of this detail? From what I can tell the people who have them green do have the bracket that bolts to the engine grey. Here is a picture of mine, whether correct or incorrect. Lets hear from the group so I can make mine as correct as possible.

Thanks,
Tony
fordgpa
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fordgpa »

Tony it sure looks great.
One small thing I saw that your fuel line from the filter to the pump is in one piece.
Ther should be a flex piece at the pump side.
The one of the dodge WC fuelline is fitting.

Peter
GPA2196

Post by GPA2196 »

Thanks Peter,

Do you have a picture of that fitting?

Cheers,
Tony
richardfs

Winch PTO colours

Post by richardfs »

Hi Tony,
Your GPA is really starting to take shape. "Looks good"

Regarding the winch PTO drive. I am sorry but grey is just all wrong.
When I restored my first GPA I was luck to get a NOS winch PTO drive.

The cast frame is green, the pulley was not painted, just the colour of the polished steel. The small connecting links, dog clutch and selector shafts are polished steel. Pto mount bracket is grey to match the engine. The winch drive shaft and universal joints are green.
I clear laquered the polished metal parts so they would not rust but maintain their original look.

Here is a photo of my original GPA,s engine bay with its NOS drive.

This as a NOS winch drive never painted.
I hope this helps.

Best regards
Richard
GPA2196

Post by GPA2196 »

Richard,

Thanks for the update... that is very cool... I guess I will have to go with green since both you and Donavan have that NOS....

So on your old engine compartment... dipstick incorrect, top radiator pipe wrong angle, incorrect rubber hoses, incorrect hose clamps... not sure what the red sausage hose is for? radiator should be green, rubber boot on pto joint ;)

Please take the above as just ribbing :) as I know today with the internet and repros... we can get these beauties back to as close as possible! I am definitely going to take your guys advice and go GREEN :)

Cheers,
Tony
richardfs

Engine compartment GPA

Post by richardfs »

Hi Tony,
I consider myself "Ribbed". Arrh! yes it is the trouble with a 20year old restoration. 20 years ago it was "state of the art, today it just is not good enough.

On my original GPA she received a couple of field mods, Crank case ventilators was fitted to help lubricate the valves. "The red sausage" (No it is not one of your American hot dogs being heated in the engine bay).

It is infact a heat exchanger. Yes engine coolant was taken outside the hull and cooled. Worked well for hot Australian conditions.

The top radiator pipe is all wrong as we know to day. (My repos today are correct.)

"Well at least the PTO is correct." (even if the uni,s do have seals)

It is great to see just how far the hobby has come in 20 years. I am going to have to be much more precise with my current GPA restoration if I am going to take out "The Factory Class" at the next MVPA Convention. (Mmm Ben Carlin eat your heart out, long swim to America).

OK I will go and "Lick my wounds". :oops:

Best regards
Richard
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Tony,

I am sorry if I indicated that I had a NOS winch pulley drive. I think what I was trying to say is that when I cleaned up my pulley that it appeared to be OD, not Ford grey.

I have fallen vistim myself to painting my pulley Ford grey!! :oops:

I will say that I have not strictly followed what was done as I find certain colors (as the Ford grey) advantageous in finding oil leaks. I ended up mistakenly painting my transfercase grey, however it shows oil leaks better than the OD does. So I am not perfect and admit it here!!!

Donovan.
GPA 11374
GPA2196

Post by GPA2196 »

Donovan et al,

Come to think of it, my PTO was NOS as well still wrapped in the cosmoline... which puzzled me since I didn't remember it being a specific color... after speaking with Dennis, he told me that it was all bare metal, unpainted when he opened it. I guess I will strip it all down paint the cast parts green and clear coat the pulley and linkages.... thanks for all the advice.

Cheers,
Tony