Body Question

Discussions & announcements

Moderator: bobassel

Body Question

Post by Guest »

This GPA does not have ribs along the free board. Is this a early model?
Thanks David
fordgpa
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Body Question

Post by fordgpa »

Anonymous wrote:Image
This GPA does not have ribs along the free board. Is this a early model?
Thanks David
YEP Davis this are panels off a aerly one,if the spare tyre at the back is in the middle and there are no screens above the exhaust it could be a early one.
look if you can located the vin at the frame or at the data plates [btw this should be small ones if it is a early one]
good luck ,where is it located?
Peter
Last edited by fordgpa on Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Welch

Post by David Welch »

The frame and engine # is Gpa 1359.
fordgpa
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fordgpa »

David Welch wrote:The frame and engine # is Gpa 1359.

David it is a early one that is sure Peter
jerome

Post by jerome »

David

This could also be a repro side panel. I am almost certain the early side panels had the horizontal grove; the late side panel model had, in addition, a hull to panel reenforcing bracket. I believe the flat side panels were only on prototype GPAs.

Mithril is in vacation at the moment, he will have a clear answer.

Cheers

Jerome
1939 BMW R12, 1941 GP, 1941 MB, 1942 MB, 1942 GPW, 1943 GPA, 1944 MB, 1945 Weasel M29C, 1950 JH101
http://www.jeepandmedic.com
leo verhagen
C-SICK

Post by leo verhagen »

David, Jerome,

The first GPA contract of 7896 GPA's had US Army registration numbers 702104 - 709999.

This is an original photo of GPA with US Army registration number 702915 (number 811 built), with early type side panels:
This is another original photo of GPA with US Army registration number 704655 (number 2551 built) with late type side panels:

Looking at these photos I would say that change from early to late type side panels has been between number 811 and 2551 built.

Based on this info I think David can have both early or late type side panels with his serial number 1359. Maybe somebody else has an original photo with an earlier registration number then 704655 (and late type side panel) so we can know better when the change from early to late type side panel was made.
Regards,

Leo Verhagen

http://communities.zeelandnet.nl/data/fordgpa/index.php

Ford GPA#8787 d.o.d. 27 Feb '43
Ford GPW#87243 d.o.d. 21 December '42
Willys MBT waiting for restoration
gpa430

Post by gpa430 »

Hi David

I have an early GPA and my side panels are like the ones in your photo. From your chassis no. one can see that your GPA is early. As far as I know, those panels go with the early GPAs who also have the lifting rings on the chassis/frame and not on the deck.
On the upper railing you should also have the rope guides. The rope guides were fitted on the early GPA only. I am attaching a photo from my GPA.

Also the outer sides of the propellor tunnel should be plain and without ribs.
Also something else about the inner floor where the seats are attached. The brackets where the floor is attached to the hull, are smaller than the late type GPA ones. So the floor of the early type GPA should be slightly longer.

I would appreciate if you can send me some pictures from your GPA as it would also help me with my restoration. My email is gpa430@onvol.net
Stephen Farrugia
GPA #430

Post by Guest »

One always learn,

Thanks for updating my knowledge

Cheers

Jerome
David Welch

Post by David Welch »

Thanks I will take a look a see what I have and report back.
David