MWO

Discussions & announcements

Moderator: bobassel

GPA2196

MWO

Post by GPA2196 »

Gentlemen,

I believe I saw a MWO modification for the GPA that issued new dataplates... the large ones for the early gpa's Is this correct? I am building my GPA but used parts from 5 different GPA's I used frame 2196, a GPW engine which I will restamp, and have original plates for GPA 11590.... However, I like the large plates, and the other MWO's such as the muffler guard, boot hook brakets, rifle rack gas can, voltage regulator on top etc.... Could I restore it as gpa 2196 and have these mwo's for a 1942 vehicle in 1943? I have a later rear deck made for the gas can with all the different ribs and pressings in it, but its far inferior in condition to my nice earlier one.....

The main question I have did this large plate modification exist or am I just imaging it? I am up with the man restoring my GPA this week... it is looking beautiful, but now we must make some decisions....

It will be the quality of a factory class restoration, but will have the MWO's applied...

Any advice? I was leaning towards just doing 11590 lately, but I'm now more leaning towards 2196 with the MWO's applied.

Thanks,
Tony
bobassel
Site Admin
Site Admin

MWO

Post by bobassel »

Tony

In my opinion the GPA's that stayed in the U.S. are transformed with
the U.S. mwo's.
My GPA 4928 went to South Africa and was left in the condition
as she left the Ford Plant.
It is your decision how to rebuild / restore your GPA.
You can build her like she came out of the Ford plant or add
all the modification Work Orders.
I' m sure you still can see the holes from the original dash plates
in your dash of GPA 2196.
Or if you prefer all the extra's you rebuild her with all the modifications.
If it was my choise I would build her like the early frame number because
there are not many early GPA's left in early condition!

Good luck!

Bob
Ford GPA 12350, april 2nd 1943
Author of GPA book,
Bantam trailer S.N: 147807
Mithril

Post by Mithril »

I will restore her in its original ealy shape. Those are much more rare (see my data base).

Like you, I also like very much the "late" model and sold my early one for a late type ...
Mithril
1943 Ford GPA #7177 (SOLD)
1945 Ford GPW #267061
1944 Bantam T-3 #48593
http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgal ... me=mithril
http://homeusers.brutele.be/mithril
leo verhagen
C-SICK

Post by leo verhagen »

Hello Tony,

Like Bob and Mithril mentioned you can restore your gpa as an early one or with all modifications, both type of restorations would be historicaly right, so yes, it is your choice :?
Regards,

Leo Verhagen

http://communities.zeelandnet.nl/data/fordgpa/index.php

Ford GPA#8787 d.o.d. 27 Feb '43
Ford GPW#87243 d.o.d. 21 December '42
Willys MBT waiting for restoration
fordgpa
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MWO

Post by fordgpa »

GPA2196 wrote:Gentlemen,

I believe I saw a MWO modification for the GPA that issued new dataplates... the large ones for the early gpa's Is this correct? I am building my GPA but used parts from 5 different GPA's I used frame 2196, a GPW engine which I will restamp, and have original plates for GPA 11590.... However, I like the large plates, and the other MWO's such as the muffler guard, boot hook brakets, rifle rack gas can, voltage regulator on top etc.... Could I restore it as gpa 2196 and have these mwo's for a 1942 vehicle in 1943? I have a later rear deck made for the gas can with all the different ribs and pressings in it, but its far inferior in condition to my nice earlier one.....

The main question I have did this large plate modification exist or am I just imaging it? I am up with the man restoring my GPA this week... it is looking beautiful, but now we must make some decisions....

It will be the quality of a factory class restoration, but will have the MWO's applied...

Any advice? I was leaning towards just doing 11590 lately, but I'm now more leaning towards 2196 with the MWO's applied.

Thanks,
Tony

Tony I got 5755 with almost all the MWO applied ,it left the army /states in 1948 to Mexico.
If you look into the big Ford master partslist SNL G658 it says that the most changes from early to late where about 6500 serialnumber.
That is what I could find about early and late