Insulation Questions

Discussions & announcements

Moderator: bobassel

GPA2196

Insulation Questions

Post by GPA2196 »

Hello,

I have a few questions here...

1) Insulation between deck panels and hull... what are you using? I'm leaning towards a black rubber strip that you can buy with self adhesive on one side... you can find it at McMaster and Carr... what dimensions width and thickness would you recommend or is there a better material? Any Pictures?

2) Insulation around front deck hatches once again black material rubbery?... what would you use to adhere it... since it will be opening and closing not sure the self adhesive will do the job... is there a good way to stick this stuff? Or once again a better material? Any Pictures?

3) Felt insulation around inner vent work around engine compartment... small doors and engine compartment inner panels... what are the dimensions and color and source? How is this attached? Any Pictures?

4) Insulation around radiator, is it that brown fiber stuff like a GPW.... is it stapled on? Any pictures?

Thanks for any help!

Tony
bobassel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by bobassel »

Hello Tony

Our "forum leader" Peter Verhoeven arranged for me the perfect black rubber seal 15 x 10 mm for the deck plates.
The same seal is used on the engine compartment hatch and the air intake hatch on both sides!!!
The rubber seal is fixed with glue on the deck and on the hatch!
I used "bison Tix" glue and used some clothes-pegs to hold the rubber in place.
For the isolation of the engine compartment was used a little kind of
brown material (Like horse hair).
I installed a picture of the air intake hatch and one of the engine compartment.
I hope it helps you a little!
Greetings Bob
Ford GPA 12350, april 2nd 1943
Author of GPA book,
Bantam trailer S.N: 147807