Gasket Material for Hull

Discussions & announcements

Moderator: bobassel

Donovan

Gasket Material for Hull

Post by Donovan »

Everyone,

As I run down my list of things to get (as I wait for the hull to be finished) I am getting the rubber washers that go on the brake hoses, vent hoses, spring supports, shock supports, etc that go through the hull.

My question is what thickness of rubber/neoprene did you use? Did you have any problems with these seals? Any suggestions? My gut tells me 1/8" thickness (~0.1). I had remnants of the gaskets but I did not trust either the compressed portion or the uncompressed portion.

Thanks all,

Donovan.
GPA 11374
richardfs

Rubber Material

Post by richardfs »

Hi Donavan,
On my GPA I used 1/6 th incertion rubber for the brake hose fittings and skeg bearing brackets. This is black rubber material with a woven cloth through it. This was no problem for these parts.

For the spring brackets I was concerned that this material is not very stong for the higher point loading of the brackets. So for the hangers I used 1/8th poly Eurathane sheet and sealed them on with a little silicon.

To date the vehicle is still going with no leaks.

I will be interested to hear what others have done.

Best regards
Richard
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Richard,

Thank you for the reply. I was also worried about the gasket material being warped or squeezed out in these areas.

Thanks again,

Donovan.
GPA 11374