GPA 9398 On the way to being restored

Discussions & announcements

Moderator: bobassel

richardfs

GPA 9398 On the way to being restored

Post by richardfs »

Hi All

For the past 12 months I have been searching Australia for GPA parts to complete my GPA.

This search has taken me many thousands of kilometers and to many fellow enthusiasts. A well known historian in Australia is Ian Grieve who has been responsible in saving at least 4 GPA,s from becoming scrap, and is an incredible source of knowledge when it comes to these vehicles.

Well no search for GPA knowledge and parts would be complete with out a visit to Ian. There hiding in a dark corner was a much better hull (and more) than what I had. Ian had done an incredible job of finding it many years ago in far North Queensland, and had carefully put it away for a quite moment to do more with it.

After some negotiations GPA 9398 was bound for restoration some 2500km away in South Australia. This complements what I already have and will make a very complete and original vehicle.
Thank you Ian for allowing me to complete the job you started.

Here are a couple of photos just to show there are still GPA,s patiently waiting to be restored. So keep looking.

Well at least my wife knows where to find me for the next...years. :D

Best regards
Richard Sanders
GPA2196

Post by GPA2196 »

Richard,

Congratulations on your find! I know exactly how you feel, as I found 5 GPA's before starting my restoration! Looks like some great parts and a MUCH better hull. I'm in the UK now but was in Melbourne for 2 weeks unfortunately too much hectic business kept me back from a visit up to see you again.

Cheers,
Tony
leo verhagen
C-SICK

Post by leo verhagen »

Hello Richard,

What a great find indeed, well worth the long kilometers driving.
I think this hull will save you much time in restoring, compared to the other one with the bow and stern cut off.

Keep us posted on the restoration progress.
How is your GP coming along? I drove Jacco's GP 3 weeks ago, it was a great experience, never expected it drove so well.
Regards,

Leo Verhagen

http://communities.zeelandnet.nl/data/fordgpa/index.php

Ford GPA#8787 d.o.d. 27 Feb '43
Ford GPW#87243 d.o.d. 21 December '42
Willys MBT waiting for restoration
richardfs

GPA

Post by richardfs »

Hi Tony & Leo,
Thank you for your encouraging words.
I must admit having bought 3 GPA,s it does allow you to put together a much better vehicle and there is alot less welding in my latest find.

I will keep you all posted as she comes together.

The GP is all finished and runs very nicely. I had it out on the weekend for a small drive with some family visiters and made the interesting discovery that the fuel guage needs ajusting 1/4 on the guage real means empty. :oops: (Gp,s run much smoother with fuel in the tank).
Just a little embarrasing. Luckily it was only a 5 minute walk to my home to pick up a Jerry can of fuel. Now I realy understand why they fitted a jerry can carrier to the later model.

If any of you are coming to Australia you are always welcome to visit.
(I have some cold beers in the fridge)

Best regards
Richard
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Richard,

Great find!! Looks as if you have enough floorboards for 4 GPAs!!

It will make it a bit easier not to have to recreate the back and front ends and maybe you have enough extra items to help barter what you might not have. Good luck and keep us apprised on how it goes.

Donovan.
GPA 11374
Ian Grieve

Post by Ian Grieve »

Richard

Great to see little GPA got home safe and well. What a picture.

Tonight I have just perused two rolls of DND microfilm from National Archives Canada at our local library but found no GPA history on this occasion. It is amazing what has turned up though on other microfilm in recent times.

I am hoping to spend five weeks at National Archives (London, GB) and the Imperial War Museum Photo Library in February next year researching GPA as I have quite a number of files to look at.

There may be the possibility I can catch up with some of the guys in England and Europe.

Enjoy your day.

Ian
Ian Grieve
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
Australia