Drag Link Boot

Discussions & announcements

Moderator: bobassel

GPA2077

Drag Link Boot

Post by GPA2077 »

I am replacing the drag link boot with a NOS part. I note that that drag link, when the wheels are straight and the weight is on the tires, passes through the hull opening approx. 1" up from the bottom of the opening and 1" to the right of the left side of the opening. This results in a severe warp in the boot. Is this correct? Do I have the correct drag link? I have installed the drag link per TM-10-1263, page132. Has anyone else encountered this problem? What is the solution?

Thanks

GPA2077
GPA2077
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

GPA2077,

Some people have reported a similar problem. Are all the heavy items installed in the vehicle? (The added weight may realign where the tie rod is located.)

If everything else is normal, I believe that Richard Sanders makes a replacement to the pin on the front axle that raises the tie rod up. Check with him and he can tell you if it would work in your situation.

Good luck,

Donovan.
GPA 11374
richardfs

Draglink clearance

Post by richardfs »

Hi,
On many GPA,s the clearance on the drag link to the hull is very close.

Be sure not to put to much set in the front springs as when the vehicle is in the water the draglink can rub on the Hull and cut the boot.
I checked mine by lifting the front of the vehicle with the lifting rings on the deck and then checked the clearance with no weight on the wheels.
It is very close.

For this reason we made the extended steering sector shaft to help centre the drag link in the hull opening. It works well.

You can see the extra hight will centre the draglink in the boot.

Best regards Richard
GPA2077

Post by GPA2077 »

This is a very interesting solution to the problem. I had in mind to rework the drag link which would not change steering geometry. Does your modification affect steering? How high did you lift the bellcrank?
GPA2077
richardfs

Bell crank shaft

Post by richardfs »

Hi,
We made a whole ne shaft that incorporated a packer that raises the bell crank arm. The whole shaft is longer and made from heat treated high tensile steel.

It makes no differance to the steering or the way the vehicle handels.

I have a few left if you want one.

Please send me a private message.

Best regards
Richard