GPA 5294 Progress

Discussions & announcements

Moderator: bobassel

gpa5294

GPA 5294 Progress

Post by gpa5294 »

Finally starting to assemble. Seems like forever gathering parts and repairing others. My plan is to run the frame to check engine, transmission, and running gear before stuffing it all in the tub. :shock:

I discovered the need for both radiator pipes, upper and lower. If anyone has a spare, please let me know. :D

Thanks,
John

Mithril

Post by Mithril »

Ask Richard, he perfectly reproduced them.

I think radiator must be Olive Drab painted and transmission gray painted ?

PTO and transfert case stay o.d
Mithril
1943 Ford GPA #7177 (SOLD)
1945 Ford GPW #267061
1944 Bantam T-3 #48593
http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgal ... me=mithril
http://homeusers.brutele.be/mithril
GPA2196

Post by GPA2196 »

John,

Looking good... brings back memories ;) Yes I think running it first is the way to go. We found that we had a pretty bad transmission leak after running a while.

I concur with Mithril about the colors... hopefully you are looking for input on these things, if not tell us to be quiet :) The oil filler pipe should also be gray... and hard to tell from the pics but it looks like the fuel pump has a glass bowl? Might just be a reflection... it should be metal. I originally had my radiator black and transmission green too... now they are correct.

And glad to see another great restoration coming along.

Cheers,
Tony
gpa5294

Post by gpa5294 »

Mithril and Tony,

I do appreciate the input. I knew the radiator was OD, came back from the radiator shop black, but I did not know the trans was gray or there was no bowl on the fuel pump. The radiator is sitting in place to give me perspective on fuel line plumbing. I will repaint and put shroud on it. Richard has the radiator pipes. I will soon crank up and drive around. I am afraid I may have some seal issues because the engine and tranny were rebuild 3 or 4 years ago when I thought I was moving forward with the restoration. Tony Frickes built them both for me, didn't he build up yours? More pics as I can. Thanks, John :D
GPA2196

Post by GPA2196 »

John,

Yes Tony Fricks rebuilt my engine, transfer, transmission and PTO. Overall I was pleased. The engine runs like a top. I did have some issues with the following though:

Improper bolts put on not the greatest attention to restoration detail.
Paint was a bit sloppy wrong gray and needed to be totally redone
Transfer leaked
Head Gasket blew after 2 hours running (like you it was 3 years since rebuild to run though)

Good on the radiator repaint.. remember not to put too much paint on the fins, it will affect the cooling in an already bad cooling situation.

Cheers,
Tony
gpa5294

Post by gpa5294 »

Quick question, on the side of the gas tank are tabs for blind nuts to hold the screens. What size nut? I assume 1/4x20 but would like to get it right before welding them in place.

Tony did my GPA and Slat engines and trannys. The slat runs like a top and has great oil pressure. I have over 2000 miles on it in the last 4 years. I did notice the paint and bolt issue, but corrected them as I went along. The slat tranny is one of the quietest I have had, but it will suprise you at times and jump out of 2nd. :o

John
GPA2196

Post by GPA2196 »

They are actually screws... the larger panhead screws (not the ones holding the decking down) these are like the ones that are holding down the headlight brackets.

Tony
gpa5294

Post by gpa5294 »

Thanks Tony, I looked at my front deck to see the size that holds the light bracket. I have ordered some panhead bolts from McMasters and will see if they are the same. John :D