Discussions & announcements

Moderator: bobassel

fordgpa
Site Admin
Site Admin

opening pandoras box

Post by fordgpa »

Hi guys first a merry Christmas and a happy new year
When you start working on a gpa it looks like a pandoras box [ you never know when it stops]
after a lot of cutting you can start building
Peter
GPA2196

Post by GPA2196 »

Don't we know it!!!! At least the end result is worth it....

Merry Xmas,
Tony
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Peter,

Been there, still doing it! I find it so frustrating how so many areas can get corrosion and what it takes to bring it back. The welder that I am using has taught me a lot on why certain things were done a particular way and why the spot welds on the seams, what is original, what has been repaired, etc. All I can say is that I never want to do this again. When I finish with this one, that is it! I am not going to restore another one in my lifetime!!! I am using the best paint I can buy and the heck with originality...the original paint did not work very well!!!!

Just as a side note, in some of the locations that I have repaired, it appears that the whole body must have been dipped before being painted. I have seen a yellow-type coating which strikes me as a weak chromic acid dip (I believed it was called Parkerizing) that etched the metal and removed any rust and left a hard coating for the paint to adhere to. I know that some of the areas I repaired could not have been reached by normal spray painting!

Good luck and make sure you get it all and be sure to put in drain plugs!

Donovan.
GPA 11374