Felt and Staples

Discussions & announcements

Moderator: bobassel

GPA2196

Felt and Staples

Post by GPA2196 »

Hello,

Can somebody tell me or show me a picture of how all the felt is supposed to be applied around the panels around the engine. I know it is stapled on and I see the holes... what is the dimension of the felt, 1/2 wide by 1/4 thick? What color should it be? I've heard brown. I have some pics from Steve Greenbergs GPA but his felt looks very wide to me... Also should the staple ends be folded in towards themselves into the center, and I assume the solid part of the staple should be against the felt? Could somebody give me some ideas or better yet pics?

I'm heading to Oklahoma this week to work on my GPA hopefully get the chasis in the tub and start assembly. I'll post some pics as I take them.

Thanks,
Tony
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Tony,

I do not have a picture as yet but basically the felt was about 1/2" thick and varied from 3/4" to 2" inches wide depending on where it was. The staples were just as you suspected with the solid piece on the felt side and the two ends on the metal side bent inward just like a staple on a piece of paper. I have used brown felt (like what is used under carpet).

At some locations they used the felt strap (as used in GPWs under the hood). I do not recall exactly where but seem to remember along the radiator support bracket (I will have to check my pre-restoration photos).

If I can find any pictures, I will try and forward on.

Good luck,

Donovan.
GPA 11374
GPA2196

Post by GPA2196 »

Thanks Donovan for confirming a couple of things....

I still need to know the dimensions of felt and where each dimension goes... I will be in Oklahoma with the parts starting tomorrow so should have some better idea of what questions to ask specifically.

Thanks,
Tony